Friday, April 17, 2009

Garlic pesto and spinach pizza

A couple of months ago I made some homemade pizza dough. I used half of it and froze the other half for future use. I can't remember what recipe I used but here is one that is a LOT easier than what I used. I will be trying this one next time.

I decided Wednesday night that pizza sounded good for supper on Thursday and set out the dough to thaw. I am GLAD I did. Corvette hunting took longer than I expected.

My 2 years working at Papa John's came in handy last night and impressed my son. He kept wanting me to "throw it again." Those skills are not nessecary however. Just fun.

This recipe is what I used, but you can change the toppings to reflect your tastes. My husband was horrified when I told him there was not going to be any meat on the pizza, but changed his tune when he tried it.

1 pizza crust (homemade or store bought does not matter)
2-3 Tbsp Garlic Scape Pesto from Blue Moon Farms (Any pesto will work but this stuff is AMAZING.)
2-3 Tbsp spaghetti sauce (I only used about 2 because I do not like a lot of sauce.)

Toppings I used:

Spinach drained and pressed to remove as much water as possible.
Sliced mushrooms
Sliced black olives
Italian blend cheese

Spread pesto over pizza crust. Then add spaghetti sauce and spread. Add your toppings and cheese and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven until cheese is melted and slightly browned on top and sauce is bubbly.

My CHILD ate 2 pieces. Of course he has been watching Popeye and thinks it is cool to eat spinach because it will give him big muscles. My husband raved, even if it didn't have meat on it. (I might add some crumbled bacon next time, just for him.) I could have eaten another WHOLE pizza myself. It was wonderful, if I do say so myself!


4 comments:

Liz said...

I really like this idea. I may very well try it :D

MJ said...

You should try this dough recipe. It's super easy, the dough is very forgiving and it freezes beautifully!

http://www.tammysrecipes.com/tammys_easy_pizza

Natalie said...

I will have to try that one.

Stacy said...

ok that sounds nasty but I'm glad you liked it